Monday 4 March 2013

On a desert island with The Hunger Games


I like to think that I was one of the leaders  of the “The Hunger Games” book revolution, a bold statement, I know.  I first heard of the Hunger Games  in late 2010, at this time I didn’t realise the genius  I’d stumbled upon. In my first year of secondary school at the time, I was on a bus to a hockey match. I had happened to be sitting beside a shy girl I knew nothing about. I made efforts to make conversation, but she was deeply absorbed in a book and gave only one word answers. Rude, or so I thought.
              A few weeks later,  I was on our family’s tradition of a day out in town,  Christmas shopping . Every year my parents leave my brother and I in my favourite bookshop “ Hodghes Figgis” and it was here I saw the book that had caused the shy girl to ignore me. So I bought it. I was sure that a book couldn’t have been so good as to ignore me.
            So on Christmas Day I turned the first page of “The Hunger Games”. And ,of course, I agreed that I had been worth ignoring. To this day “The Hunger Games” would be the one book I would bring on a desert island.

No comments:

Post a Comment