Monday 4 March 2013

Books to grow up with


 If I was going to a desert island and was allowed to bring only one book with me, I would bring my illustrated copy of ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’, by Lewis Carroll.
 I chose this book for a number of reasons, because of its’ sentimental values to me, because of the incredible, exciting story and because of the stunning illustrations, to name a few reasons. I have enjoyed this book for so long, I feel I am obligated to bring this book along with me, as a way of saying thank you to the book.
 My God mother and Aunt, Jane, gave this book to me when I was age four. Sadly, the book was too complicated for me at that age, and I left the book gather dust on my shelf for another year. It was then, however, that my ballet class decided to turn Alice in Wonderland into a dance. After I was cast as the Queen of Hearts, I diligently began the first chapter of my Auntie’s present to me.
 I found the book very hard to read, and ended up getting my mum to read it to me and explain all of the harder words and phrases. But I didn’t care, the book instantly became my favourite. I would watch the film over and over again for days, I wanted to name my little sister Alice after the loveable main character and I could almost recite the book word for word.
Another great thing about this book is that it has grown up with me. When I first read it, Alice in wonderland was a funny story about a girl in a magical world, but as I grew older, it was a mysterious book about a delusional little girl. The reader is left to decide weather of not the story was true, and each time I read it, I change my mind. This is why I would bring this book with me on a desert island, because the story is different depending on the reader, even on my mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment